Sunday, June 8, 2008

Bienvenido a Miami

Wow. Miami is a great place. It was a lot different than I expected. I expected it to be like clips from Miami Ink or something. I expected it to look a lot like California... but no... it is not. It reminded Harrison and I of a few of the places we were at in Brazil. It was really cool. Most of the people in the area are Cuban. Most everybody everywhere speaks Spanish. The beaches were amazing. We visited North and South beach. South beach was definitely our favorite. We only saw one topless lady the whole time we were there. I was hoping we would make it out without seeing one... but no luck.
We went to church Sunday at a Young Single Adult branch that was right down the street from our little condo. The building (as you can see) is really cool looking. We couldn't believe that the chapel was right down the street from where we were staying. The only branches that meet there are a Spanish branch and a YSA branch. Since I know like three words in Spanish, we decided to go to the YSA branch. The ward was very welcoming and Sacrament Meeting was great.



Look at those tans... finally! Harrison is a lot less red than me! I pretty much turned myself into a lobster the first day we were in Florida. My face is getting a nice tan though!


We noticed that we were right next to the inlet to the bay. The cruise and cargo ships come in and out of right where we were (as you can see from this picture).


The sand here in Miami is very similar to the sand in Rio. It is like brown sugar. It is so soft! The beaches are really neat here. You can walk out a really long way before it gets very deep. So there is actually room to swim in the ocean (similar to Brazil). The water was warmer in Miami than Cocoa Beach... but it makes sense since Miami is closer to the equator.




This picture is kind of blurry, but this is where we stayed in Miami. It was an apartment building made into a hotel. We had a room with a small kitchen. There wasn't a stove, but there was a hot plate. I have never used one before. We went to the little store down the street and bought some groceries and ate at the hotel.




This is a picture of one of the MANY cats around our hotel. It looks like most of them come from the same "pod". There were at least 10 or 12 cats around. They look like they are taken care of and there was always food set next to a light pole for them. no wonder they were sticking around. It was funny to see them all. They just flop down wherever and sleep. They mostly flop under cars in the shade though.



We ate at a very expensive restaurant our first night in Miami. It was called Texas de Brazil. Our bill was $150 at the end. It was pretty good food, but I think the food at Tucanos in Provo is better (not to mention cheaper). The beach was beautiful though. I can see why lots of people do photo shoots out here!





Before we went to church on Sunday, we found a Holocaust Memorial and stopped to see it. It was reallt neat. This was the sculpture that was in the middle of the memorial. There was marble walls that told about that part of WWII and what the Holocaust was. There were pictures and other facts. At the end of the walls, you walk through this little corridor to this sculpture. It was very emotional for me. I enjoyed it very much. Harrison got some great pictures of the site.










This is the view of the statue outside the memorial (from the street). It was a great time had by all. It was so humid while we were there though. By the time we were done walking through the memorial, my clothes were sticking to me and I had started to sweat through my clothes. Oh man. It was kind of miserable for a little while.



No comments: