Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Very Very Thankful Thursday


I came into work late today and my co-worker asked me why the flag was draped on the side of the building. It took me a split second to register myself why the flag was out today and then it occurred to me. Today is September 11th. A flood of thoughts came to my mind as I thought about the significance of this day. So, in honor of my country, this special day, and those who have fought in the past and the present for my freedom, this Thankful Thursday is dedicated to them.
Our Troops
I am so thankful to the men and women who fight (and have fought) for our freedom. My dad was in the Air Force when I was little and I knew from a young age what patriotism was. I hold those who wear the uniform of our country in high regard. It isn't easy to do what they do. I admire the decisions they make to CHOOSE to serve our country and to leave their families (for long stretches of time) to stand up for what they believe in. I am so so so thankful for them.
Freedom of Religion
I try to thank my Heavenly Father every night for this freedom. I am thankful that I can go to the place that I choose to worship when I want to worship. My faith is such a huge part of my life. I don't know how I would feel or what I would do if I had that liberty taken away from me. I am what I am because of my faith. I am so thankful for the freedom to have that faith.
The American Flag
The American flag is more to me than just a symbol of where I live. It is a symbol of what our Forefathers intended it to stand for. For the blood that is shed for our freedom and for the country that I live in today. It breaks my heart when I see others disrespect my country's flag. I have much reverence for the flag.
I am thankful to live in a country where I can be who I want, go where I want, and live the way I want to live. I am thankful to others who share my love of country. I may complain about the things that go on around me and in our government, but I know that the basics of how we function is right and just and true.
My thoughts and prayers go out this day to those who were effected by the tragedy of September 11, 2001 (and I truly think that was just about all of us in the US). Do any of you remember where you were when you heard the news? I am sure you do. I was on my way to Early Morning Seminary my Senior year of high school. I got to the building and everybody was talking about it. I watched the second plane hit the building on TV. Later that year, we had a woman who was right down the street from the Twin Towers during the attack speak to our seminary class. I am still get really emotional when I see footage of that day.
I am proud to be an American and live in this country! What a great Thankful Thursday this has been.

No comments: