Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Spiritual Thought Sunday

Well- after only one week of starting this weekly post, I am already behind!  But I haven't stopped thinking about this particular thought for the last couple of weeks.

We had another great Sunday School lesson on Sunday.  I was very uplifted in that hour.  Again, we are studying the Book of Mormon and we were studying particularly in Second Nephi chapter 4.  This chapter is almost entirely made up of what is known as Nephi's Psalm.



This chapter of scripture is one of my absolute favorites.  Nephi gets down on himself for a couple of verses.  To me it is as if he acknowledges that he is a human being even though he is a prophet.  But after he gets down on himself for a bit he picks himself back up and glories in Heavenly Father.  He thanks the Lord for his blessings and then asks for strength and courage to resist temptation and to do what is right.

When I first moved to Grand Junction, CO to start my life over again at the age of 20, one of the goals I made for myself was to read the The Book of Mormon daily.  One day I came home from work and I was really depressed.  I didn't know why my life was the way it was.  I was having a real pity party for myself.  I remember praying that day and I asked Heavenly Father for guidance.  I sat on my bed and opened my scriptures and began to read.  This chapter in Nephi is what I read.  I don't think it was any coincidence that I was reading that chapter at that exact time.  I was so overcome by the love our Heavenly Father had for me.  I felt like Nephi at that moment.  I felt weighed down by "the world".  I didn't really feel of value.  After reading this chapter, I had a new outlook on life.  I knew that Heavenly Father loved me and that He was aware of me.

Many times after this experience I have gone back to this chapter to read Nephi's prayer to Heavenly Father.  It gives me strength and understanding every time I read it.  After reading it, I always feel that life will be possible.  I will be able to get through tests and trials in my life as long as I pray and keep the commandments that Heavenly Father has set.

Another thing I learned while studying this chapter in Sunday School is the way Nephi prayed.  As long as I can remember I was taught in church the order in which to pray.  I was taught to thank Heavenly Father for the blessings that I have and then ask for blessings I am in need of.  Nephi prayed in this exact order.  It was neat to discover this.  It is really amazing to me that even though I have read this passage of scripture dozens of times, I always learn something new each time I read it.

I want you all to know (friends, family, and even those whom I have never met) that I know The Book of Mormon is a true testament of Jesus Christ.  I have had the Lord confirm it's truthfulness to me.  I become a better person each time I read it.  I know that our Savior, Jesus Christ lives.  I know that He loves us.  I know that our Heavenly Father knows each and every one of us and he knows us by name.  He is aware of us and is ready to bless us with our righteous desires if we but ask Him.  I have a testimony of the power of prayer.  I know that the Lord hears and answers those prayers.

I hope your day is wonderful today.  Remember to smile, it's contagious!

No comments: